Personal information is defined by PIPEDA as “information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.” PIPEDA also protects personal health information, defined broadly so as to include information with respect to a person’s or deceased person’s physical or mental health history.
Personal Information Collected
In order to provide legal services to our clients, we may collect such personal information as home address, telephone numbers, personal email address, personal bank account numbers, and other information incidental and necessary to providing legal services.
Purpose for Collecting Personal Information
Personal information is collected, used and disclosed for the following purposes:
• To perform legal services, fulfil legal obligations, and avoid conflict of interest situations;
• To share personal information, whenever necessary or required by law, with third parties in connection with the performance of legal service to clients;
• To administer accounts, issue invoices, and otherwise maintain commercial relations with clients, and business associates;
• To develop and promote our services; and
• For any other purpose to which a client consents.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not sell, trade, or generally disclose personal information. Under certain circumstances, however, we may disclose personal information to:
• A third party, when required or permitted to do so by law;
• To engage a third party, when necessary, to collect outstanding fees and other amounts owing;
• To your agent(s), or persons reasonably believed to be acting as such; and
• Any other party, in the instance that your prior consent has been obtained.
Accuracy of Personal Information
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that our records of your personal information are at all times accurate. Any errors, omissions, or updates to your personal information may be amended by contacting our offices and requesting to speak to our Administrative Assistant.
Protection of Personal Information
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information of our clients is protected from unauthorized access and non-permitted disclosure. To better protect the confidentiality of all personal information, we strive to limit the quantity of printed material, and store any and all sensitive information on our network database, protected by industry standard firewall and password guarded systems. In addition, printed materials are kept in files which are kept in locking cabinets.
Access to Personal Information
Except under certain circumstances – the most obvious of which involves the unauthorized disclosure of another person’s personal information – we will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your personal information and will provide you access to that information. Access to personal information will be provided on the basis of written requests which should be addressed to our Administrative Assistant at the coordinates which appear below.
Our Administrative Assistant may be contacted at:
969 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, Ontario M6C 2C4
BY SUBMITTING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO RAVIELE VACCARO LLP YOU AGREE THAT WE MAY COLLECT, USE AND DISCLOSE SUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS POLICY AND AS PERMITTED OR REQUIRED BY LAW.